Italian possessive adjectives and family members

Italian possessive adjectives are preceded by articles. There is, however, an exception to this rule with family members in the singular form. In this case, in fact, you don’t have to use the article. But remember to put it before possessive adjectives when the family members are plural or when the name is preceded by another adjective or suffix that modify the noun.

  • Mio zio abita in un piccolo appartamento in centro. (My uncle lives in a small apartment in the city centre)

  • I miei zii vivono in una grande villa in campagna. (My uncles live in a large villa in the countryside)

  • Suo cugino ha aperto un ristorante italiano a Londra. (His / Her cousin has opened an Italian restaurant in London)

  • I suoi cugini sono in vacanza negli Stati Uniti. (His / Her cousins are on vacation in the United States)

  • Sono andata a Firenze a trovare la mia cara nonna. (I went to Florence to visit my dear grandmother)

Possessive adjective “LORO” must always be preceded by the article, even if the family relative’s name is singular.

  • La loro zia abita a Roma. (Their aunt lives in Rome)